Go directly to contents.

Checklist for organisers of public events

Any permits required to organise an event depend on the size and nature of the event. Many public events require advance notification submitted to the competent authorities.

  • If the event is expected to draw a large crowd, or if its arrangements affect third parties, you should submit a notice to the local police at least five days before the event is scheduled to start.
  • If the public event requires any special traffic arrangements or traffic managers, you should submit your plans for approval by the police at least five days before the event is scheduled to start.
  • If the event is expected to draw at least 200 people, if it involves open fire or fireworks, if the exit routes are exceptional, or if the event may cause danger in other respects, you must draw up a rescue and safety plan, which must be submitted to the local fire and rescue services at least 14 days in advance of the event.
  • Please note that building an open fire always requires permission from the land owner as well.
  • If the event causes particularly disturbing noise or vibration, you must submit a noise notification to the municipal environmental authorities at least 30 days before the event. ‘Noise’ refers to sounds carried from an outdoor concert, for example.
  • Any music to be played in public requires permission from the authors and publishers of the music to be played, even if attendance is free of charge. Licences to play music at events are available from Teosto.

Licence applications for playing music at events are available from Teosto.Opens in a new window.

  • A waste management plan must be drawn up if the event is expected to draw at least a thousand people. You should submit the plan to municipal environmental authorities at least two weeks before the event.
  • Serving alcoholic beverages at a public event is always subject to licensing. A temporary licence to serve alcohol may be granted for a maximum period of one month. The licence application should be submitted to the Regional State Administrative Agency at least a couple of months before the event.
  • As a general rule, all fundraising requires either a notification to the police department or a permit from the National Police Board. If you organise a small-scale collection of funds, you must inform the police department. A small-scale collection must not exceed EUR 10,000, and it must not take longer than three months. If the collection is larger, you must apply to the National Police Board for a money collection permit valid for an indefinite period.
  • A Food Hygiene Proficiency Certificate (‘Hygiene Passport’) is required for food services, if a volunteer is going to work in a professional capacity on food premises for a period of more than three months, or if the organiser requires one.

Text edited by: Ministry of Justice
Updated: 6/5/2021