Go directly to contents.

Income support

You can receive basic social assistance from Kela, if your income does not cover essential daily expenses, such as food and housing. Municipalities may provide you with supplementary or preventive social assistance. Municipalities and companies also provide housing services for the elderly, for people with disabilities, as well as for mental health and substance abuse rehabilitees.

Social assistance

You can apply for social assistance from Kela and your municipality, if your income does not cover essential daily expenses.

A new home for an older person

When you get old you might need a new home where it is easier to get support and service.


Persons who are homeless receive help from the social welfare services of their home municipality and from non-governmental organisations.