Go directly to contents.
What to do?

Work in Finland

To get the best help for your situation, first answer the questions on the Preliminary questions page.

Problems at the workplace

Seek outside help if necessary

It is always better to try to solve problems related to an employment relationship at the workplace. For example, if your working conditions are poor or you are paid less than agreed, discuss the matter with your supervisor first.  

If you do not dare to do so or if it is not helpful, seek help elsewhere: 

  • your workplace's shop steward, an elected representative, or an occupational safety and health representative
  • your trade union
  • the occupational safety and health authority's telephone service
  • public legal aid offices. 

You can also download the free Work Help Finland mobile application Opens in a new your smartphone. The content of the application has been translated into 26 languages, so it helps you find in your native language the key parties that can help you if you suspect that you have been mistreated.

If you suspect a crime, ask for advice from Victim Support Finland (service description in 23 languagesOpens in a new window.) . 

You will find more advice for problems in an employment relationship from the guide As a foreign employee in Finland (available in 15 languages)Opens in a new window.

Updated: 19/10/2023

Information on all services is not available in your chosen language. Change the language of the site to receive information on services in other languages.

When you are sick, you can take paid sick leave

If you fall ill and cannot work, notify your employer immediately.

Your employer may require a medical certificate of your sickness. In this case, you must: 

  1. visit a doctor and ask them for a medical certificate of sick leave
  2. deliver the certificate to your employer.
Updated: 27/6/2022

Report an accident at work

If you experience an occupational accident, follow these steps:

  1. Immediately report the accident to the employer or your superior.
  2. Ask your employer for an insurance certificate at the same time. When you show the certificate to a doctor or in a hospital, you will receive the treatment you need free of charge.
  3. Make sure your employer sends an accident report to the insurance company. Give your employer all the information needed for filling out the report.

Read more about occupational accidents on the website of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.Opens in a new window.

Updated: 27/6/2022

Notify your supervisor immediately if you feel there are dangers in your workplace

Always notify your supervisor if you notice something that might pose a risk to employees. This could be something like a hazardous working method, a broken tool, or inadequate protective equipment. You can also make a suggestion how to work safer. 

If the supervisor does not react, call the occupational safety and health authority's telephone service.

Updated: 27/6/2022

Do I need to obtain the necessary safety equipment for my work?

The employer must pay for the necessary safety equipment. These may include equipment such as 

  • a helmet, safety shoes, and high-visibility clothing for those working in construction
  • a respiration protector when working with chemicals

The employer is also obligated to train you in safe working practices.

Updated: 27/6/2022

What should I do if the employer does not pay my salary as agreed?

First, ask your employer for your salary. Do this by sending a message or an email to keep a record. 

If there is an error in the salary, the employer must correct it. Remember that the salary cannot be used to pay a debt if it has not been agreed. In addition, a salary can never be completely waived due to a debt.

Updated: 29/7/2022

My employer demands that I work too much. What should I do?

Make sure that your working hours comply with the provisions of your sector's collective agreement and the law. Working hours must not be too long. You are entitled to breaks, days off, and holidays.

If these do not happen, inform the employer to fix the situation. If the problems are not fixed, you can call the occupational safety and health authority's telephone serviceOpens in a new window.

If you have worked too hard and are exhausted, contact your occupational health care provider or a doctor.

Updated: 21/10/2022

I am treated badly at work because I am an immigrant. What can I do?

Tell your employer, supervisor, or the HR representative at your workplace that you are experiencing discrimination.

If the discrimination continues, call the occupational safety and health authority's telephone service. If the employer violates the law, the occupational safety and health authority may intervene. If you, for example, are paid a lower salary than the Finnish employees, this may be a case of discrimination against a foreign employee.

If you are experiencing discrimination, you can also ask help from the Non-Discrimination OmbudsmanOpens in a new window..

Updated: 27/6/2022

You can apply for an extended permit or extension to the right to work if you have been a victim of exploitation by the employer

If you have been forced to stop the work on which your residence permit was based because of exploitation by your employer, you can apply for an extended permit or an extension to your right to work from the Finnish Immigration Service.

Employer exploitation refers to, for example, such situations where you have had to work unreasonably long days or your employer has not paid you the agreed salary.

Read more about exploitation by employer and residence permits on the website of the Finnish Immigration ServiceOpens in a new window..

Updated: 27/6/2022

Are you satisfied with the content on this page?