Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Poliisi

Explosives precursor licence

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

Private persons must apply for a licence to import, procure, possess or use explosives precursors referred to in Annex I to the Regulation on the marketing and use of explosives precursors. The explosives precursor licence is granted by the National Police Board. The purpose of authorisation is to limit private people’s possibilities to obtain substances or mixtures that could be used in the manuf ...

Do the following

A private person can apply for a licence from the National Police Board. They can submit a signed application to a police department or deliver it directly to the National Police Board.

To whom and on what terms

An explosives precursor licence can be granted to a person aged 18 or over who presents a legitimate purpose of use for a substance and who, on the basis of their state of health and behaviour, can be considered fit to possess and use the substance in question.

The licence process only applies to private individuals, that is, those who need the substance in question for their business do not need to apply for a licence to acquire it in future either. From now on, shops selling substances must ask for a licence if their products are purchased for private use.

Period of validity

The permit is granted for no more than three years at a time.

The service is provided by


Responsible for the service

Text edited by: Poliisi
Updated: 27/3/2024