The police are tasked with:
- upholding social order and the judicial system;
- maintaining public order and safety; and
- preventing and investigating crime, and referring investigated offences to a prosecutor for consideration of charges.
To maintain safety, the police work in partnership with other authorities, and local organisations and residents. The police will also perform such other duties as are separately provided for them by law, and provide anyone with assistance if it falls within their area of responsibility.
In partnership with other organisations, the police will draw up security plans, which improve everyday safety, reduce and prevent crime and disturbances and contribute towards the creation of a safe and comfortable local environment.
Every year, the police issue approximately 900,000 permits and licences, mainly passports, firearms permits, and identity cards.
Police powers and the key principles of police work have largely been defined in the following acts: Police Act, Coercive Measures Act and Criminal Investigation Act. In the provisions on police powers, account has been taken of human rights and fundamental freedoms, and of the fact that the Finnish police should have enough scope to work effectively with international partners in the fight against crime. In addition to legislation, police operations are guided by police ethics and the citizens' expectations.
an organisation, the Police are subject to performance guidance, which includes a performance plan with annually approved priorities and targets
See more service channels by this organization
- E-serviceNationwide except the Åland IslandsYou can initiate various permit matters, book appointments for licence services and report an offence, for example, in the Police e-services.Open 24 hours a day.
- FormNationwideA printable application that can be used to apply for a permission to rent and use a police uniform.
- FormNationwideA printable form for applying for permission to establish and maintain a shooting range.
- FormNationwide except the Åland IslandsUse this form to apply for permission to appoint a security steward to assist the police or the Finnish Border Guard.
- FormNationwide except the Åland IslandsComplete and print this form to notify of a firework performance.
- FormNationwide except the Åland IslandsA printable form you can use to notify of rock blasting works.
- FormNationwidePrintable form for visa extension
- Telephone serviceNationwideThe police helpline gives advice on non-urgent matters regarding licences, appointment bookings, e-services and traffic surveillance.Monday-Friday 8.00–16.15Telephone:+358 295419800
- WebsiteNationwideDetailed information on how to submit a rock blasting notice.
- WebsiteNationwide except the Åland IslandsDetailed information on applications for licences in the private security sector.
- WebsiteNationwide except the Åland IslandsDetailed instructions for applying for a security sector business licence
- WebsiteNationwideDetailed information on how to apply for permits related to the firearms trade.
- WebsiteNationwide except the Åland IslandsMore detailed information on an authorisation to appoint security officers.
- WebsiteNationwideMore specific instructions on how to file a report of wrongdoing