Go directly to contents.

Work in Finland

Look for work in Finland

How will I find vacancies?

Updated: 20/3/2024

Looking for work when you are an EU/EEA citizen

You can freely move to Finland and look for work if you are a citizen of an EU Member State or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

The TE Services help and support you with your job search. Register as a jobseeker at the local TE Office when you arrive in Finland.

Updated: 8/1/2024
Information on the services is not available in your chosen language. Change the language of the site to receive information on services in other languages.

Looking for work when you are not an EU/EEA citizen

In most cases, you will need a residence permit to be allowed to work and live in Finland if you are not a citizen of an EU Member State or Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland. 

You can apply for a residence permit only after you have found a job or received a binding job offer. Take this into account when you look for work. 

You can find out on the Finnish Immigration Service website in advance on what conditions you could get a residence permit.Opens in a new window.

Updated: 24/8/2023

Do I have to know Finnish or Swedish?

Proficiency in the official languages in Finland, in other words Finnish or Swedish, is required for many work tasks. On the other hand, satisfactory proficiency in English may be sufficient for other tasks. 

Learning Finnish is nearly always useful, as people speak Finnish in most of the jobs at least in informal situations.

Check with the employer whether your current language skills are sufficient for the job you are applying for. Note that the employer must have grounds for its language requirements.

Updated: 31/8/2022

Are you satisfied with the content on this page?