Producer responsibility in waste management
Under the Waste Act, the manufacturers, importers and packers of certain products have an obligation to organise the waste management of the products they have brought to the market at their own expense when the products are discarded. Neglecting this producer responsibility may result in a penalty payment for negligence.
The following companies are considered producers:
- parties manufacturing and importing batteries and accumulators (incl. batteries and accumulators inside vehicles and electrical equipment)
- importers of vehicles and companies importing vehicles on behalf of a domestic user
- packagers of products or importers of packaged products, whose turnover is at least one million euros
- importers of paper products and manufacturers and importers of paper used in the manufacture of paper products
- importers, manufacturers and retreaders of tyres and importers of vehicles and equipment that have tyres
- manufacturers and importers of electrical and electronic equipment and sellers that sell equipment under their own trademark.