Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service TE Office

Unemployment benefit and part-time studying

  • Service
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

Studies which do not prevent you from applying for work and working full-time are considered part-time studies. Part-time studies may include, for instance, learning a new skill, completing basic studies at an open educational institution, or completing degree studies which have been previously interrupted. When assessing the part-time nature of your studies, the essential factors are whether your studies lead to a degree, as well as the amount of work required.

The following are not regarded as part-time studies.

  • Studies leading to bachelor's degrees (polytechnic), master's degrees (polytechnic) or bachelor’s or master’s degrees from a university.
  • Studies in accordance with the Act on Vocational Education, the objective of which is the completion of a professional basic qualification or a part of it, completion of coaching leading to professional education, or completion of coaching leading to employment or independent life.
  • Upper secondary school studies, the scope of which is, according to the syllabus, the minimum of 150 credits in total. General upper secondary studies organised at a boarding school are always considered full-time studies.

The studies listed above are full-time because of their content. Studies other than the above are generally regarded as part-time studies if their scope is

  • under 5 credits, 3 study weeks or 4.5 competence points per month of study
  • under 25 hours per week, if the scope has not been defined as credits, study weeks or competence points.

The assessment will be made on the basis of your curriculum or personal development plan. The TE Office or local government pilot will assess whether your studies are considered part-time or if they prevent you from accepting work.

Studies may also be considered part-time if you have been working regularly during your studies or are self-employed. In such cases, you have proved by working that your studies are part-time.

Do the following

When you are a customer of TE Services, all studies must be reported to the TE Office or the local government pilot. If you are planning part-time studies with unemployment benefit, please contact the TE Office or the local government pilot well in advance.

If necessary, the TE Office or local government pilot investigates your studies and always gives a statement to the payer of the unemployment security, i.e. Kela or the unemployment fund.

To whom and on what terms

You can study part-time with unemployment benefits if you are entitled to unemployment benefits. For example, you must be a job seeker in TE Services and be prepared to apply for and accept full-time work during your studies.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byTE Office
Other responsible organisationsPirkanmaa TE Office, Pohjanmaa TE Office, Satakunta TE Office, Etelä-Pohjanmaa TE Office, Pohjois-Karjala TE Office, Varsinais-Suomi TE Office, Kainuu TE Office, Pohjois-Savo TE Office, Etelä-Savo TE Office, Keski-Suomi TE Office, Kaakkois-Suomi TE Office, Lapland TE Office, Uusimaa TE Office, Häme TE Office, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa TE Office
Responsible for the serviceTE Office
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesSwedish, Finnish
Text edited by: TE Office
Updated: 12/8/2022