Trading in rest areas and car parks
- Permit or other obligation
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
ELY Centre’s approval is required for temporary trading operation and for longer term kiosks and cafes in the roadside rest areas and car parks.
The approval can be issued for sites that are appropriate from the point of view of traffic safety.
The trading operation can be based on a trailer, table or similar. The ELY Centre does not organise power supply for traders. If a ...
Do the following
Write a free-form application when applying for a temporary trading approval or a roadside kiosk/cafe contract. Include the following information in the application:
- contact details and business ID of the seller/entrepreneur
- the municipality in which the resting area is located, name of the area, exact location and road number, map
- what you are selling
- for which period of time the approval or agreement is (agreements start on 1 January and end on 31 December)
- copy or file number of any prior approval or agreement
- when applying for a temporary approval and there is a kiosk or cafe in the area, the keeper’s written consent for temporary trading is required
- when applying for a contract and there is an existing building in the area, the applicant should mention whether they will buy or rent the building
The sales period for temporary trading approval is always a calendar year, and the approval can only be applied for one period. The application period is January of each year, and the aim is to process all approvals in February. Applications submitted after January will be processed in the order of arrival.
Send the application to the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (Registry, P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To whom and on what terms
The product selection must be designed to serve road users.
The approval for temporary trading or a contract for kiosk and cafe trading on roadside rest areas and car parks must be obtained before trading is started.
Temporary trading applications are usually processed within three weeks and kiosk and café contracts in six weeks.
Period of validity
Periods of trading from one day up to six months are considered temporary trading. If the trader requires and obtains a power supply connection for the trading activity, a temporary trading agreement can be made for several years at a time. In kiosks, the first agreement period is usually five years, and ten years in cafes. An additional agreement can be concluded for usually a period of five years.