Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

Starting activities that have been granted an environmental permit

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

You can start your permitted activities when the decision for the environmental permit gains legal force. The environmental permit decision gains legal force if 38 days have passed since the decision was issued and no appeal has been lodged to the Vaasa Administrative Court.

However, for justified reasons, a permit applicant can request for a right to commence operations before the decision gain ...

Do the following

If you are requesting a permission to start your activities regardless of an appeal, you must justify it in your application. A financial gain is usually not a sufficient justification. Starting the activities must not cause the appeal to be redundant. The security sum must be enough to restore the environment after the activities, in case someone appeals against the decision and the decision is therefore repealed or the permit conditions are changed.

If you wish to start your activities early, you must lodge a security set by a permit authority in accordance with the instructions of your regional ELY Centre. If no one appeals against the decision and the decision is not changed in court, the permit holder can apply for the security to be released.

To whom and on what terms

The Regional State Administrative Agency may grant a permission to start activities regardless of an appeal provided that starting the activities does not make the appeal redundant. The permit holder must comply with the regulations of the decision for an environmental permit.

If the Regional State Administrative Agency has granted an environmental permit for the activities and the right of implementation, the permit holder must lodge a security set by an authority for restoring the environment in case the permit decision is repealed or permit conditions changed. The security must be paid before the start of activities.

Background information

The service is provided by

Regional State Administrative Agency

Responsible for the service

Regional State Administrative Agency
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 3/12/2020