Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Centre for Pensions

Social security while you work abroad

  • Service
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

As a rule, if you work abroad, you no longer have a right to get social security benefits from Finland. This applies even if you still live in or pay your taxes to Finland.

However, the rule does not apply if you are:

  • a posted employee or self-employed person,
  • a public servant, or
  • an employee or self-employed person who works in several countries on a regular basis.

More details on the conditions for the above categories: > Work and pension abroad > Insurance while working abroad > From Finland Abroad.

For coverage under Finnish social security laws while working temporarily abroad, you must apply for coverage before you go abroad to work. You must apply for a certificate to attest that you are covered by Finnish social security also if you do remote work abroad for a Finnish employer.

Send your application to the Finnish Centre for Pensions if you go abroad to work in:

  • an EU/EEA country, Switzerland, Great Britain or
  • a social security agreement country (Australia, Canada, Quebec, Chile, China, India, Israel, Japan, South Korea, and the USA).

If you go to work elsewhere, contact Kela.

More information on how to apply for social security coverage while you work abroad: > Pension services > Insurance while working abroad > Apply for an A1 certificate.

To whom and on what terms

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Centre for Pensions
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Centre for Pensions
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Finnish Centre for Pensions
Updated: 20/5/2022