Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Urban Environment Division, City of Helsinki

Renting land for other purposes

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Helsinki
  • Public service

The City’s land areas can be rented for a variety of temporary and small-scale operations. Such operations include sand silos, circuses and funfairs, minigolf courses, summer theatres, collection boxes, ship berths, newspaper distribution locations, hunting rights and works of spatial art.

Do the following

Requests for permits and reservations can be made to municipal authorities responsible for the construction and maintenance of streets and green areas.

To whom and on what terms

If a trader has established their business in another country within the European Economic Area and intends to provide their services temporarily in Finland, the trader is subject to the same obligations as all other traders established in Finland.

A fee is charged for the service.

Fees may be charged for the permits. The permit holder must provide compensation for any damage to the areas covered by the permit.

The compensation for any unauthorised use of public areas can be up to four times the normal fee.

Background information

Permits for using streets and green areas for exceptional purposes must be sought from the municipality. A permit must be sought for such purposes as cultural events.

If you need to lease a street or green area due to, for example, nearby construction work, you must post a worksite board that details the party performing the work and the contact details of the person responsible for the work.

Basic information

The service is provided byCity of Helsinki
Responsible for the serviceUrban Environment Division, City of Helsinki
Area Helsinki
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Urban Environment Division, City of Helsinki
Updated: 20/5/2022