Registering the protected occupational title of psychotherapist (trained outside EU/EEA)
- Professional qualification
- Public service
In Finland, psychotherapist is a protected occupational title. Professions with protected occupational titles may also be practised by those who possess the required training, experience and professional skills and knowledge. However, they are not entitled to use the protected occupational title. Valvira will enter professionals entitled to use a protected occupational title into the central register of health care professionals (Terhikki).
Do the following
An application is made to Valvira for the right to practise the profession of psychotherapist with a protected occupational title.
Applicants trained outside the EU/EEA countries:
The applicant completes an application form accompanied by an copy of his or her passport or other document indicating his or her nationality. The applicant must also provide the following copies of the documents listed below and translations of these documents into Finnish or Swedish made by a translator authorised in Finland. The translations may be given as originals or as copies verified by a notary public.
- a copy of the applicant's passport or other official document indicating his/her identity and nationality
- a copy of the certificate of the basic training preceding the occupational training as psychotherapist, if obtained in a field other than health care, or if the applicant has not already been entered in the Central Register for Health Care Professionals in Finland
- a copy of the certificate of a completed psychotherapist's qualification
- copies of certificates of training therapy and clinical supervision. These certificates should indicate details such as the dates and number of hours of training therapy and clinical supervision and the qualifications of the training therapist and clinical supervisor. If this information is apparent from the course description or certificate no separate report is required
- a document signed by the educational institution concerning admission criteria for students if the training was started between 1 Jun 2006 and 30 Dec 2011
- the applicant may be asked to provide additional information
- If the applicant has been licensed to practise the profession in a country other than Finland, a certificate issued by the competent authority of that country stating that the licence has not been restricted or revoked due to serious malpractice or a similar cause. The certificate may not be older than 3 months
- If the applicant is not a citizen of an EU/EEA country, a valid National Certificate of Language Proficiency or State Administration Language Examination Certificate in Finnish or Swedish. The proficiency level required is "satisfactory" for the State Administration Language Examination and "intermediate" (levels 3 and 4) for the National Language Proficiency Test
You cannot apply for a European Professional Card.
To whom and on what terms
- Completed psychotherapist's qualification and suitable basic training preceding the occupational training as psychotherapist (obtained in Finland or elsewhere)
The following preconditions only apply to persons who are not nationals of an EU/EEA country
- Adequate language skills; a certificate to show that the applicant has passed the State Administration Language Examination or the National Language Proficiency Test. The proficiency level required is "satisfactory" for the State Administration Language Examination and "intermediate" (levels 3 and 4) for the National Language Proficiency Test.
An applicant without a Finnish personal identity number at the time of application must inform Valvira as soon as one is granted.
Applicants should check the websites of Valvira and the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health at www.valvira.fi and www.stm.fi and familiarise themselves with the guides prepared by the Ministry on the preparation and storage of patient records and on safe medication.
If an entrepreneur is established in another country within the European Economic Area and provides services in Finland on a temporary basis, the entrepreneur must clarify with the competent authority whether he or she is subject to licensing, notification or registering.
A fee is charged for the service.
3 - 4 months from the receipt of the application. Incomplete applications cause delays in the handling process.
Period of validity
The licence is valid until further notice.
Act on Health Care Professionals
Decree on Health Care Professionals