Proposal for a Life Saving Medal awarded by the President of the Republic to a private individual
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
A proposal for a Life Saving Medal can be made for a deed that was brave, resourceful or done while risking one’s own life, and which saved a life.
The President of the Republic can award a Life Saving Medal in recognition of a deed that was
- very brave,
- exceptionally resourceful or
- done while risking one’s own life
and which has resulted in saving another person’s life from imminent danger. ...
Do the following
Please submit your proposal on a form available on the service channels.
If you would like to propose several people to be awarded a Life Saving Medal for the same rescue event, please submit a Life Saving Medal form for each of them separately.
Fill in the following details on the proposal form:
- Candidate’s name, personal identity number, place of residence, home address and phone number
- Time of the event: date and time
- Place of the event: address, municipality. Please fill in the location details especially accurately.
- Description of the event: what are the grounds for the proposal, what happened? You can continue the description on a separate attachment. Please fill in the description as accurately and in detail as possible.
- Person who made the proposal: name, home address, phone number and email address
You cannot provide further details after submitting the form, unless the board secretary asks you to. You can ask about the schedule of processing the matter.
Please send the signed form in writing or as an email attachment to the registry of the relevant Regional State Administrative Agency according to the area at which the event happened. If the event occurred outside Finnish borders, please send your application to the Regional State Administrative Agency of the area in which the rescuer or person rescued lives.
The Regional State Administrative Agency will acquire all the necessary clarifications and deliver their statement regarding the proposal to the board of Life Saving Medals. The board delivers their decisions to the Ministry of the Interior, which will present the matter to the President of the Republic.
As a person making a proposal for a medal, the answer for the proposal will be sent to the address you gave as your contact details.
The processing time is from 4 to 15 weeks.
To whom and on what terms
The proposal has to be made within five years from the end of the calendar year during which the event occurred.