Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Arranging of events in road areas

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

All events in highways that are not part of normal traffic require a permit from an ELY Centre. The harm and hazards caused by abnormal use of roads is prevented by traffic arrangements and by selecting an appropriate time and place for the event.

Events that are typically arranged in road areas include sports contests, folk festivals, festivals, parades and shows. Roads must always be closed for traffic during rallies and other motor vehicle contests. Permits are very rarely granted to events on motorways and semi-motorways.

Do the following

Prepare a written application that includes the following information:

  • Nature of the event
  • Time of the event
  • Road/municipality
  • Organiser and contact information
  • Billing address
  • Applicant's business ID or social security number.

If the event does not require closing a road, send the application to the Pirkanmaa Ely Centre, regardless of the place of the event. Address: Pirkanmaan ELY-keskus, Kirjaamo, PL 297, 33101 Tampere E-mail:

If the event requires closing a road from other traffic, apply for a permit from the regional ELY Centre.

Permits for road closure in accordance with the town plan and the development plan are issued by the municipal or local executives.

To whom and on what terms

In case the event causes road wear, the organiser of the event should prepare an agreement on the necessary maintenance of the closed road section. A maintenance agreement should be concluded with a contractor approved for this type of work by the road management authority.

Placing of temporary traffic signs on the highway network requires a permit from the road management authority. The organiser of the event must prepare a traffic control plan for the temporary traffic sign arrangement, in accordance with the regulations on the control of road traffic.

The traffic control plan must be presented based on a roadmap. The road management authority recommends that the organiser of the event should have extensive experience on the above tasks + Road Safety 2 training or other safety training for traffic control and work in road areas and the training required for the task.

There is a separate instruction and model solutions for temporary traffic sign arrangements and the use of traffic controllers.

There is also a separate instruction for preparing traffic control plans for events where a road is closed temporarily.

When a road is closed temporarily for an event, it is recommended to place diversion signs on a highway network with low traffic volumes. In this case, the organiser of the event should prepare an appropriate diversion signing plan, based on the model solutions. The plan must be in compliance with the regulations on road traffic control. The signing plan must be presented based on a roadmap. There is a separate instruction for diversion signing, including model solutions.

In addition, a permit is required for the placement of any temporary constructions (e.g. information signs and crowd fences, etc.) on road areas. There is a separate instruction for the placement of temporary constructions.

A fee is charged for the service.

There is a fee for both a granted licence and a negative decision. The fees are determined annually by a government decree.


Applications must be submitted well ahead of the event.

Processing time

When arranging large events, please allow six months for the processing of the permit. Signing for the event is agreed in connection with the processing.

Period of validity

The validity of the permit is case-specific. Normally, permits are issued for the duration of the event arrangements.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 7/6/2020