Animal transporter authorisation
- Permit or other obligation
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
Commercial transport of animals requires an animal transporter authorisation.
Commercial animal transport means
- transport associated with commercial activity or
- transport that directly or indirectly involves or aims at financial gain.
The transport may be classified as commercial even if the financial gain associated with the transport or the financial gain set as the objective is directed a ...
Do the following
- Learn about the requirements for transporting animals.
- Submit the application and its appendices to the registry of the Regional State Administrative Agency in your home municipality.
The required attachments are:
- If the applicant is a company, association or other organisation or foundation, a copy of the partnership agreement, articles of association or the rules of association or foundation as well as an extract from the register.
- A description of the drivers, completed as fully as possible (form).
- Information on the vehicles used for transport, a separate form for each vehicle completed as fully as possible (select the correct form).
- If the vehicles you have used for long journeys have already been approved, copies of their approval certificates.
- If you are applying for a long-distance transport permit, a contingency plan for emergency transport situations.
- The vehicle is inspected by an official veterinarian. Bring all equipment used in transportation to the inspection. Make sure that all equipment and tools are in working order.
To whom and on what terms
You will be authorised to transport animals if:
- Your animal transport vehicle and equipment satisfy the relevant legal requirements. Vehicles must undergo an inspection. Vehicles used for long journeys must meet special requirements, in which case they must be issued with a vehicle approval certificate. Note the exceptions for animal species.
- Your procedures comply with the relevant laws.
- Your personnel hold valid certificates of competence (equine, bovine, ovine, caprine or por-cine species or poultry), or certificates of participation in training for other animal species.
- You or your representatives have not committed any violation of the Animal Welfare Act in the three years preceding the date of application.
You can start the commercial transport of animals once you have received the animal transporter authorisation, vehicle approval certificates and the necessary certificates of competence.
If there is no need to supplement the authorisation application, the processing time is 1–2 months.
Period of validity
Five years after which a new licence must be applied for.
Animal Transport Act
Animal Welfare Act
Regulation on the protection of animals during transport (EC) 1/2005