Go directly to contents.

Agreement on child custody and right of access

  • Service
  • 27 municipalities
  • Public service

In the event of a divorce or separation, the parents must agree on the child's custody and access rights. For the agreement to be enforceable, the child welfare supervisor will confirm it in writing. The child welfare supervisor helps and gives advice if necessary also regarding other agreements during the divorce or separation.

Do the following

Make agreements regarding the child together, and after that make an appointment with the child welfare supervisor in your municipality of residence or the family law services. You can make an appointment with the family law services via telephone or chat.

The family law services are available for the residents of Kaarina, Kimitoön, Koski TL, Kustavi, Laitila, Lieto, Marttila, Masku, Mynämäki, Naantali, Nousiainen, Paimio, Pargas, Pyhäranta, Pöytyä, Raisio, Rusko, Salo, Sauvo, Somero, Taivassalo, Turku and Vehmaa.

To whom and on what terms

The parties making the contract for the child's custody, residence and access rights are the parents. The child welfare supervisor does not make decisions regarding the content of the contract. Parents are the ones negotiating.

Background information

In a common-law or matrimonial divorce, you can agree on your child’s custody, residence and right of access. When making decisions on the future of your child as their parents, you must discuss them with your child if this is possible considering their age and level of development. The child’s opinions and wishes must be taken into account.

The child welfare supervisor can provide information on the options available to you and assist you in drawing up a contract. The agreement on the child’s custody, residence and right of access must be made in writing and confirmed with the child welfare supervisor of the wellbeing services county where the child’s municipality of residence is located. If you are unable to reach a mutual decision, the matter will be decided by a court.

If the child is jointly cared for by their parents, the parents will decide together on matters that are important for the child, such as the child’s place of residence, health care, day care or school. In some situations, the division of tasks between guardians can also be agreed upon. A single parent decides on the child’s affairs alone.

If the child lives with just one parent, they have the right to meet and contact the other parent in the manner agreed upon by both parents. The parents can also decide on an alternating dual-residence arrangement for the child in the manner specified in the contract.

The service is provided by

The wellbeing services county of Southwest Finland

Responsible for the service

The wellbeing services county of Southwest Finland
Text edited by: The wellbeing services county of Southwest Finland
Updated: 1/1/2023