Advance notification of temporary or occasional practice of a health care profession in Finland.
- Permit or other obligation
- Public service
A citizen of an EU/EEA state or a health care professional who is legally established in another EU/EEA state and who has a legal right to independently practice a health care profession or use a protected occupational title, may offer services associated with the profession in Finland temporarily or occasionally. Temporary or occasional practice of a profession is an alternative to licensing.
A practitioner who intends to offer theirs service temporarily or occasionally, must submit an advance notification to Valvira, when they enter Finland for the first time.
Do the following
The advance notification must be made in writing. The notification must indicate the nature of the services as well as their time and place of provision.
When the intention is to provide the services for the first time, the notification must be enclosed with the required documents.
• A copy of your valid passport or other document issued by an authority that can be used to verify your identity and nationality
• If your current name is different from the name used in the documents, you must submit a copy of a document that verifies the change of your name
• A certificate of your right to practice a health care profession, with the certificate bearing a mention that the right is not even temporarily limited. The certificate must not be older than three months.
• A qualification certificate, a degree certificate or other document demonstrating the formal qualification needed to practice the profession
• A certificate on practicing the profession for one year during the last ten years, if the profession is not regulated in the state of origin. If the profession is regulated in the state of origin, the certificate on work experience is not needed.
• Information on the service provider’s insurance coverage or other personal or collective professional liability coverage.
• A notification of the service provider’s language skills.
To whom and on what terms
The temporariness and occasional nature is determined on a case-by-case basis, particularly in light of the duration, repetition, regularity and continuity of the services.
The operation does not meet the requirements for temporariness or occasional nature, if its nature can be regarded as established and continuous. The operation can be interpreted as being established in Finland especially if the practitioner can be considered to purposefully circumvent the requirements on establishment.
A health care professional must have oral and written language skills that meet the requirements of their tasks. The official languages of Finland are Finnish and Swedish.
The employer of a health care professional must ensure that the language skills of the health care professional meet the requirements of their tasks.
A fee is charged for the service.
Period of validity
The notification is valid for 12 months and must be renewed if you intend to continue the provision of services. If a significant change occurs in a matter that affects your right to provide services, you must submit the documents associated with the matter to Valvira.