Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

A statement, objection or an opinion in matters under the Acts on Water and Environmental Protection

  • Service
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

An application for a water management or environmental permit that is pending at the Regional State Administrative Agency will be announced on the notice boards of the municipalities within the area impacted by the operations or project in question, for at least 30 days. The notice will also be posted in the Permit Information Service of the Regional State Administrative Agency. The regional newspaper will also often announce the start of the hearing procedure.

The parties involved will be informed, such as neighbours or the owners of the impacted land and water areas. If you have been informed about the hearing, the operations or project is considered to affect your benefits or rights in some way.

The notification will mention where you can access the documents and what you should do in order to submit an objection about the application. For more information, you can refer to the processor mentioned in the notification.

Those whose benefits or rights the matter may affect (parties involved) can submit an objection about an application. Those who are not parties involved may submit their opinion about an application. If no remarks are submitted for a matter, there is no need to make changes.

Authorities overseeing the public interest, municipalities and other authorities are requested to submit a statement.

The licensing authority will request the permit applicant to reply to the statements and objections concerning a matter.

The service is based on the requirements of the Environmental Protection Act and the Water Act that concern announcing an application as well as the provisions of the Administrative Procedure Act that concern the hearing of parties involved. Arranging the hearing is a part of the authority's application process.

Do the following

The public documents of a pending matter can be accessed during the hearing period on the Permit Information Service. More detailed instructions on how to use the service are provided in the service. Documents can also be viewed at a place informed in the notification, such as the customer service point of the municipality in which the project or operation is located.

Objections, opinions or statements given by authorities can be submitted on an online form. The online form has detailed instructions on how to write an objection or opinion.

When submitting an objection or opinion, you must include the register number and applicant that the objection or opinion concerns. You cannot save the online form and continue at a later time. You must complete the form at once. Attachments can be added to the objection or opinion that is submitted with the form.

To whom and on what terms

The service can be accessed freely. No authentication is required for the objection form.

The attachments to the online form can be no larger than 32MB in total.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byRegional State Administrative Agency
Responsible for the serviceRegional State Administrative Agency
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 3/21/2021