Go directly to contents.


You may need permits for moving to and residing in Finland, depending on your citizenship and the purpose of the stay. People moving to Finland from other countries may, on certain conditions, receive Finnish social security benefits. The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is responsible for the integration of immigrants. In addition to the authorities, non-governmental organisations also work with immigrants and help in the integration process.

Moving abroad is regulated by agreements between countries. You must always notify Kela when you are moving abroad. Notify Kela if you intend to stay in a foreign country for more than 3 months.

You must make a notification of move if you are a Finnish citizen and you are moving to a foreign country to stay there for more than three months or when you move from abroad back to Finland.

You can get practical advice and information from the Your Europe portal when you are planning to move to another EU country or if you already live somewhere else than in Finland.

Notification of move

Submit a notification of move when you move to a new dwelling or when you live in another address over three months.

As an immigrant in Finland

Practical information for immigrants.