Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Centre for Pensions

Vocational rehabilitation

  • Service
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

If your ability to work has been reduced, do something about it right away. Rehabilitation is the primary alternative when you have problems with your ability to work.

Pension providers arrange and support vocational rehabilitation (within the earnings-related pension scheme). Vocational rehabilitation may include, for example work try-outs, work counselling or training that leads to a new occupation or profession.

Vocational rehabilitation aims to help you cope with your work, keep on working despite your health limitations, return to work after, for example, a long sick leave, and stay longer in working life.

Do the following

If you meet the criteria for vocational rehabilitation, apply for rehabilitation from your own pension provider. You have to fill out the application form yourself. Attach Medical Statement B (filled out by your physician) to your application.

Check your own pension provider’s website to see if they have an online application service. You need your online banking credentials to log into the online application service.

You can also apply for vocational rehabilitation with a paper form or by filling out and printing an online form (2136).

To whom and on what terms

You have the right to vocational rehabilitation if you meet the following criteria:

  • you have not reached your retirement age,
  • you have had a stabilized working life,
  • you work as a wage-earner or a self-employed person, or you stopped working as such no more than three years ago,
  • you suffer from an illness or an injury that makes disability imminent within the next few years,
  • the threat of disability can be postponed or prevented with appropriate vocational rehabilitation,
  • your earnings for the five previous years amount to at least 37,725.23 euros (at 2022 level), and
  • you do not have the right to rehabilitation based on workers’ compensation or motor liability insurance.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Centre for Pensions
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Centre for Pensions
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Finnish Centre for Pensions
Updated: 21/4/2022