Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Centre for Non-Military Service

Transfer from civil service to military service

  • Service
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

If you have signed up for alternative civil service but would like to complete military service instead, you can apply for transfer.

Do the following

Submit a free-form application to the Civilian Service Centre well ahead of the start date of your service. Provide your

  • personal information
  • date of birth
  • address

The processing time is about one week. The Civilian Service Centre will notify the regional unit of Defence Forces of its decision.

To whom and on what terms

You can apply for transfer once, before the start of your service. Your transfer will be approved if you submit an application to the Civilian Service Centre stating that your personal convictions no longer prevent you from completing military service. You cannot apply if you have already started your alternative civil service or after the year in which you turn 28.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Non-Military Service
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Non-Military Service
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Centre for Non-Military Service
Updated: 30/4/2021