Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Centre for Pensions

Supervising the insurance obligation of self-employed persons

  • Service
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

When you start your self-employment, the Finnish Centre for Pensions will send you a letter to explain how you should take out pension insurance for yourself under the Self-employed Persons’ Pensions Act (YEL) and your employees. This way, the Finnish Centre for Pensions wants to make sure that, in the buzz of starting your own business, you do not forget to take out pension insurance.

You will get the letter and the instructions on how to take out insurance if you have been registered in the Tax Administration’s register for value added tax. However, don’t wait for the letter but find out about your pension insurance already when you start plan to establish a business.

Do the following

Take out pension insurance from an earnings-related pension insurance company of your own choice (or an industry-wide pension fund if there is one in your field of business). You cannot replace statutory pension insurance for the self-employed with voluntary pension insurance.

Mela insures farmers and grant recipients, who are insured under the Farmers’ Pensions Act (MYEL).

If you have failed to take out pension insurance for your self-employment, you will get a reminder from the Finnish Centre for Pensions to take out insurance within a reasonable period of time. As a self-employed person, you can take out pension insurance for the ongoing year and the previous three years. You cannot earn a pension in retrospect for a period that dates further back than that.

If you don’t heed the reminder, the Finnish Centre for Pensions will take out insurance for the self-employed on your behalf and at your expense from one of the earnings-related pension insurance companies.

To whom and on what terms

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Centre for Pensions
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Centre for Pensions
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Finnish Centre for Pensions
Updated: 4/3/2022