Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Food Authority

Registration and approval of feed business operators in accordance with the feed hygiene regulation

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

According to the feed hygiene regulation, the entire feed chain, including primary production, must be registered as feed business operators with the Finnish Food Authority. Registration is a prerequisite for business operations.

Certain activities require a feed business operator to apply for approval in addition to registration. The approval requirement can relate to certain additives or products containing them, the manufacture of products from vegetable oil, oil blends and fat blends derived from vegetable oil, medicated feed, animal by-products, and the use of fishmeal or other processed animal by-products in the manufacture of animal feed for food-producing animals. Approval is also required for an establishment using a detoxification method for the purification of feed.

Regulation (EC) No 1069/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council (the “by-product regulation” on health rules concerning animal by-products not intended for human consumption) requires approval of those feed business operators that manufacture, process or store by-products of category 2 or 3. Approval is also required for operators manufacturing pet food from animal by-products.

Approval in accordance with the by-product regulation is not required for operators that have been registered or approved in accordance with the Regulation (EC) No 183/2005 concerning feed hygiene and who store derived by-products for feed.

Do the following

Primarily, an operator should use the electronic registration service Touko to register as a feed business operator. If you cannot use the e-service Touko, you can register by sending the form A to the Finnish Food Authority.

A feed business operator must apply for approval with the form C to use certain feed additives or to manufacture products derived from vegetable oils, for example.

With the form G an operator can apply for approval to manufacture and retail medicated feed.

An operator can apply for approval under the TSE regulation for the use of fishmeal, for example, with the form E.

To whom and on what terms

The Regulation (EC) No 183/2005 concerning feed hygiene requires a feed business operator to be registered or approved before manufacturing, exporting or importing feed, or placing feed on the market. The feed hygiene regulation also requires that all feed business operators implement procedures based on the principles of hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP).

The application for approval must be sent to the Finnish Food Authority well in advance before the planned start of operations. Use the form C to apply for approvalBefore granting an approval, the Finnish Food Authority inspects the company on site.

An operator must notify the Finnish Food Authority of any changes in the operations or of the termination of operations by submitting either form A or D. Operators must also send an annual notification regarding their operations to the Finnish Food Authority. The Finnish Food Authority will send a separate request for it.

The service includes a separate description of the registration of a primary production operator in the feed business (animal production farms, crop cultivation).

A fee is charged for the service.

The registration is subject to a fee. Inspection and approval fees are charged for the approval inspection. The fees are based on the current Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry decree, which lays down provisions on the fees charged for the Finnish Food Authority’s services as well as on the services chargeable under public law.


The registration notification must be submitted to the Finnish Food Authority at least one month before the start of the operations.

Processing time

The registration process takes approximately 10 days.

Period of validity

Until further notice

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Food Authority
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Food Authority
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesSwedish, Finnish
Text edited by: Finnish Food Authority
Updated: 28/6/2022