Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Centre for Pensions

How to claim your pension from abroad

  • Service
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

The Finnish Centre for Pensions is at your service when you want to claim a pension that you have earned abroad. It will forward your application abroad if you live in Finland and apply for a pension from one or several of the following countries:

• EU/EEA countries,

• Switzerland, and

• countries with which Finland has a bilateral social security agreement (Canada, Quebeck, USA, Israel, Chile, Australia, India and South Korea).

The Finnish Centre for Pensions does not send applications to so called non-agreement countries. Instead, you have to find out yourself if you have a right to a pension from those countries and claim your pension on your own. Note that not all non-agreement countries pay pensions to Finland.

The contact information of pension providers of other than EU/EEA and social security agreement countries are listed on the website of the International Social Security Association. (

Do the following

Claim your pension from abroad with the same application that you claim your pension from Finland. You can claim your pension online via the website of most earnings-related pension providers. Check your pension provider’s website to see if they offer the online application service in English. You can also claim your pension by filling out a paper form or by filling and print out the forms from the websites of the Finnish Centre for Pensions and Kela or at Työelä

You must attach information on your work and living abroad to your application. If you are applying for your pension via an online application service, you will get the instructions on how to provide that information via the online service. If you fill out a paper form, attach Appendix U (form 7110e) to your application. See form 7110oe for instructions on how to fill in form 7110e.

You can submit your pension application to an earnings-related pension provider, Kela or the Finnish Centre for Pensions. The Finnish Centre for Pensions will forward your application to the foreign country.

To whom and on what terms

As a rule, pension accrues from foreign countries based on insured work done there. Supplementary pensions that guarantee a minimum income and that are based on residence are usually not paid from one country to another.

However, you can get a pension based on residence alone from the Nordic countries, the Netherlands, Canada, Australia and Israel.

Each country either grants the pension or rejects the pension application based on their own national laws. For example, the retirement ages vary from one country to another. In addition, even if you are granted a disability pension from Finland, it does not mean that the other countries will grant you a disability pension.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Centre for Pensions
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Centre for Pensions
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Finnish Centre for Pensions
Updated: 3/5/2020