Go directly to contents.

How to make a complaint

If you think an authority has acted against the law, you can make a complaint. You can complain about the actions of an individual office holder or public servant, or an authority as a whole.

Complaints are handled by authorities that are higher than the object of the complaint (the authority that the complaint concerns) and their supervisory bodies, regional state administrative agencies, the government's Chancellor of Justice and the Parliamentary Ombudsman. The authority that decides on the complaint says in the decision if they find that the object of the complaint has acted wrongly.

A complaint may result in consequences for the authority, but a complaint alone will not mean that a decision you are unhappy about will be changed or that you will get compensation. The decisions made by the authorities and the court on the matter are still valid. If necessary, you have to appeal them separately.

See contents related to the topic:

When can I make a complaint about an authority’s actions

If you think an authority has acted against the law, you can make a complaint.

Examples of things you can complain about

Complaints have been made of individual public servants and office holders as well as the way organisations operate.

Who can I complain to

Ask the authority that you are complaining about who will handle the complaint. An authority must tell you where to send the complaint.

How is a complaint handled

What may happen when I complain

The consequences of a complaint may be administrative guidance, a warning, restrictions to working in a profession or a request to the police.