Warder (Prison and probation services)
- Professional qualification
- Public service
Occupation description: The role of the warders is to contribute to the order, safety and security of the prison.
The warders are responsible for the prisoners’ care, treatments and healthcare services. The guards perform transportation, escort and guard duties.
Do the following
When applying for a decision from the Finnish National Agency for Education
1. Download the application form.
2. Fill in the application form according to the instructions.
3. Attach the required documents.
4. Send the application to Finnish National Agency for Education.
When submitting your application, enclose copies of the following documents:
- Degree/qualification certificate
- transcript of studies
- Proof of nationality, e.g. an extract from the Population Information System in Finland or copy of the ID page of your passport
- Document verifying name change (if applicable).
If you are an EU/EEA national and you apply for recognition of professional qualifications obtained in an EU/EEA member state, enclose also:
- A certificate issued as evidence of professional qualifications, if such a document is issued in the country where you have obtained your professional qualifications (e.g. document on teacher registration)
- If applicable, certificates of professional experience and certificates of life-long learning.
Provide a translation of each document into Finnish, Swedish or English if the original document is in a language other than Finnish, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Icelandic, French, German, Norwegian or Spanish. The translator must be an authorised translator in Finland or an official translator in the source country, working in the language pair in question. Translations done by the body that has issued the original document are also accepted.
If you would like to work as a warder in the prison and probation services in Finland, apply for a qualification decision from the Finnish National Agency for Education.
To whom and on what terms
If you have obtained a warder qualification abroad, the Finnish National Agency for Education will decide whether you qualify as a probation service guard in Finland.
You may qualify as a warder in Finland if you:
• have completed training as a qualified probation service guard in another EU / EEA country or Switzerland, and
• you are a citizen of an EU or EEA country or have a document that entitles you to be treated in the same way as EU citizens.
You may also qualify as a warder guard in Finland if:
• you are an EU or EEA national,
• you have obtained a professional qualification outside the EU and the EEA,
• your professional qualification is recognised in another Member State; and
• you have worked in the profession for at least three years in the country where your professional qualification is recognised.
You can contact the Finnish National Agency for Education for more information on decision-making criteria.
A fee is charged for the service.
The range of fees collected for a decision is €420 - €664. The fee is €420 when the decision concerns eligibility for one post or position. The fee is increased by €122 for any additional eligibility; however, the maximum surcharge is €244.
Processing timeThe Finnish National Board of Education is obliged to make the decisions on the recognition of professional qualifications within four months of receipt of all documents. For other decisions, the law does not specify a maximum processing time. The processing of an application takes on average 2-3 months counting from the date on which all the necessary documents were provided.
Finnish National Agency for Education decides on the eligibility that a foreign qualification gives for positions in the early childhood education and care, teaching, fire and rescue services, and positions for which a Master of Laws degree completed in Finland is required.