Vehicle inspection services
- Permit or other obligation
- Public service
Motor vehicles shall be inspected according to the provisions laid down in the Vehicles Act. Vehicle inspection sites carrying out periodical, surveillance, modification, and coupling inspections of vehicles must be granted a licence to practice the profession. Vehicle inspection sites also give citizens advice on matters related to vehicle inspections.
Provision of vehicle inspection services, or roadworthiness testing, is subject to a licence. The licence may be granted by the type of roadworthiness test to cover one or more types of licence as follows: periodical and surveillance inspections of light vehicles; periodical, surveillance, registration, modification, and coupling inspections of light vehicles; periodical and surveillance inspections of heavy vehicles; and periodical, surveillance, registration, modification, and coupling inspections of heavy vehicles. Traficom grants licences for vehicle inspections, monitors inspection operations, and handles claims for rectification of inspection decisions
Do the following
To apply for the licence, write a free-form application with the following attachments:
- a trade register extract and an account of ownership (applicable only to companies and partnerships)
- a notification of the location at which the operations will take place (street address)
- an account of how the applicant will ensure a sufficiently high standard of operations and equal treatment of customers, and a certificate of a certification schedule for a quality management system issued by an accredited certification body
- a notification of the person responsible for roadworthiness testing (name and personal identity code)
- an account of how the applicant intends to implement the connections to the Register of Vehicles and how the applicant will attend to appropriate data protection
- an account of how the premises, equipment as well as personnel and other persons fulfil the requirements for the services indicated in the application
- an insurance company's certificate of liability insurance cover taken out for vehicle inspection operations
- an account of how the applicant or, in the case of applicants operating in a company form, those in a decision-making position comply with the reliability requirement stipulated in Section 9 of the Vehicle Inspections Act
- when applying for an operating licence for carrying out registration, modification, and coupling inspections, an account showing that the applicant or, in the case of applicants operating in a company form, those in a decision-making position are independent of other commercial operators within the vehicle trade in accordance with Section 11 of the Vehicle Inspections Act.
Send the application and the attachments to the Registrar's office at Traficom: firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information on applying for a licence for roadworthiness tests is available on the Traficom website.
To whom and on what terms
- The applicant must have the right to carry out business operations in Finland.
- The applicant must not be bankrupt, and if the applicant is a natural person, they must be aged 18 or over and their legal competence must not have been restricted.
- The applicant must be reliable as per the stipulations of Section 9 of the Vehicle Inspections Act.
- The applicant must be able to ensure a sufficiently high standard of vehicle inspection operations, and the applicant's quality management system must comply with the requirements of standard SFS-EN ISO 9001:2008 or a more recent standard. The system must be extensive enough and take into consideration the requirements and regulations governing vehicle inspection operations. The quality management system must be certified by an accredited certification body within six months of being granted the licence to operate.
- The applicant must employ a competent, reliable person aged over 18 to be responsible for vehicle inspection operations. This person must not be bankrupt and their legal competence must not have been restricted.
- The vehicle inspectors employed by the applicant must be reliable and competent, and they must be licensed to drive the vehicle types they are licensed to inspect.
- The applicant must have premises, inspection equipment, and instruments in accordance with the regulations issued by Trafi.
- The applicant must have appropriate connections to the Register of Vehicles, and the applicant must be equipped to manage appropriate data protection.
- The applicant must take out liability insurance, with the insured amount assessed in accordance with the quality and scope of vehicle inspection operations, taking into consideration the possibility of having to pay compensation for damages caused to vehicles as a result of inspections, and corresponding to the ordinary insurance practice in the field.
When applying for a licence for periodical and surveillance inspections, the activities of the applicant must be organised in such a manner that the applicant's other vehicle-related activities (such as repair or service of vehicles) do not influence the results of vehicle inspections. Granting an operating licence for registration, modification, and coupling inspections is subject to the applicant being independent of other commercial vehicle business activities, in accordance with Section 11 of the Vehicle Inspections Act.
A fee is charged for the service.
The licence is subject to a fee. For the amount of the fee, see the price list on the Trafi website.
A licence shall be applied for prior to the commencement of operations. Trafi will grant the licence after having determined that the preconditions for granting the licence are met and Traficom’s service provider has determined that the applicant’s premises, inspection equipment, instruments, connection to the Register of Vehicles and data protection fulfil the requirements. You can begin providing vehicle inspection services as soon as Traficom has granted the licence.
Approximately 1 month. You should provide your intended starting date on your application.
Period of validity
The licence is valid until further notice. However, the licence will expire if the quality management system is not certified within six months of granting the licence.
Starting a vehicle inspection business (trafi.fi) in Finnish
Trafi's contact information (trafi.fi)
Trafin hinnasto (trafi.fi) in Finnish
Vehicle Inspections Act (finlex.fi) in Finnish
The Ministry of Transport and Communications Decree on quality management systems in the vehicle inspection trade and on documents stored on vehicle inspection sites (finlex.fi) in Finnish
Trafi regulation on specific regulations regarding vehicle inspections (finlex.fi) in Finnish