Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Food Authority

Right to keep broilers in Finland (professional qualifications acquired abroad)

  • Professional qualification
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

In Finland, a person can act as a broiler keeper (responsible for at least 500 birds) if their skills are equivalent to the unit specialised in meat poultry of the degree confirmed by the Finnish National Agency for Education. Based on the application, the Finnish Food Authority grants the right to keep broilers in Finland with professional qualifications acquired abroad.

Do the following

Send a free-form application to the Finnish Food Authority to obtain the right to keep broilers in Finland.

The application must state the name, contact details and home municipality of the applicant, and the topic of the application. If you have a Finnish personal identity code, state it in the application.

Required attachments:

• an officially certified copy of the degree certificate and its attachments (transcript of records)

• an official translation of the degree certificate, if the certificate has been issued in a language other than Swedish or English

• if the applicant’s current first or last name differs from the name in the attachments, they must also provide a copy of a document verifying the change of name.

Officially certified means a copy authenticated by a notary public or a so-called Apostille certificate.

An authorised translation means a translation made by an authorised translator.

To whom and on what terms

The service is meant for foreign persons who wish to recognise their professional qualifications, which they acquired abroad, in Finland.


Apply for a permit well in advance before you intend to keep broilers in Finland.

Processing time

The application for authorisation is processed within four months after it has been received.

Period of validity

The permit is valid until further notice.

Background information

The service is provided by

Finnish Food Authority

Responsible for the service

Finnish Food Authority
Text edited by: Finnish Food Authority
Updated: 11/5/2021