Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Immigration Service

Residence permit application for a researcher

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

Apply for a residence permit with this application if you are coming to Finland in order to conduct research, study for a licentiate degree or prepare a doctoral dissertation. You can be granted either a residence permit for research under the Directive or a national residence permit for research.

When applying, you do not need to know which of the residence permits you are applying for. The Finnish Immigration Service will investigate which permit you can be issued with.

A first residence permit for research can be granted for a maximum of two years.

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Period of validity

The permit is valid for a fixed time.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Immigration Service
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Immigration Service
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish, English
Text edited by: Finnish Immigration Service
Updated: 14/4/2022