Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Food Authority

Registration of a primary production operator in feed business

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

According to the feed hygiene regulation, the entire feed chain, including primary production, must be registered as feed business operators. A farmer and a livestock producer must register to produce, mix, prepare and use feed to feed food-producing animals.

The primary production operations in feed business that must be registered are:

  1. production of feed (e.g. cultivation of feed grain or silage for own use or retail);
  2. mixing of feed without additives/premixtures for the farm’s own needs; and
  3. the use of domestic feed and/or purchased feed to feed food-producing animals.

Farms that use unprocessed or simply pasteurised milk and milk based products to feed food-producing animals must register with the Finnish Food Authority. Unprocessed products can only be used for pigs.

Fishmeal, animal dicalcium and tricalcium phosphates, and blood products derived from animals other than ruminants can be used to feed food-producing animals other than ruminants under the preconditions below. Fishmeal can be used in commercial liquid feed meant for suckling ruminants. In addition, processed animal protein derived from animals other than ruminants can be used to feed aquaculture animals, when taking the requirements below into account. Farms using the above-mentioned animal protein to feed production animals must register or apply for approval from the Finnish Food Authority. Additionally, if feed containing fishmeal is used on a farm, the farm must report its use.

The use of feed additives or premixtures to manufacture a farm’s own mixture requires registration as a feed manufacturer. The use of certain additives or premixtures in the manufacture of feed requires the farm to have approval. Other feed business activities on the farm, such as the manufacture of compound feeding stuffs for sale, require registration as a feed business operator. Information on registration and the approval conditions for feed industry operators can be found separately in the service.

When a farm manufactures feed with feed additives that require approval, i.e. certain additives or coccidiostats that affect animal production, the farm must be registered with the Finnish Food Authority with the form A and apply for approval to use the above-mentioned feed additives with the form C (feed business operator service).

Do the following

  • Farmers and livestock producers can register as primary production operators with the Finnish Food Authority’s form F.
  • Farms using unprocessed or simply pasteurised milk and milk based products can register with the Finnish Food Authority’s form J. Farms using animal protein feeding stuffs to feed production animals or liquid feed that contains fishmeal apply for registration/approval with the Finnish Food Authority’s form I.

To whom and on what terms

According to the feed hygiene regulation, registering as an operator in primary production in feed business is a prerequisite for operations. Feed for the production of feed and to feed food-producing animals can only be obtained from registered or approved feed business operators.

However, the registration obligation does not concern farms that

- feed only fur animals or other animals that do not end up in the food chain (e.g. horses for hobbies and racing);

- use animal feeding stuffs to feed the farm’s own animals and the food derived from these animals is used exclusively at the farm;

- use no more than three hectares of cultivated area to produce feed per year, and which delivers all the feed it gains from this area for the on-site use of a local farm or a similar operator.

The service is free of charge.


Prior to the commencement of operations

Processing time

Registration notifications are processed within 10 days.

Period of validity

Until further notice

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Food Authority
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Food Authority
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Finnish Food Authority
Updated: 7/3/2022