Go directly to contents.

Industrial treatment and storage of dangerous chemicals

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

A production plant that is engaged in large-scale industrial treatment and storage of dangerous chemicals must apply for a permit from Tukes. The extent of the plant’s operation is determined by the quantity and danger of the chemicals.

Industrial treatment and storage means any manufacture, use, handling and storage of chemicals classified as dangerous, with the exception of temporary storage i ...

Do the following

Use the ratio calculator to determine the extent of the operation. If the operation requires a permit from Tukes based on the ratio calculation, go to the Tukes Regulatory Information Service and find the Government Decree on the Control of the Handling and Storage of Dangerous Chemicals (685/2015) section 8 and Annex II to the decree. The documents required for the application are listed there. If the operation is minor, notify the rescue department of the operations.

If necessary (the plant keeps a large amount of chemicals and/or particularly dangerous chemicals) the plant must have an operating principles document or a safety assessment. The above-mentioned decree defines their required content. This obligation is based on the quantity and danger of the chemicals, and you can use the ratio calculator to find out if the obligation concerns your business.

Tukes must be notified of the termination of operations (entirely or partially). The structures and areas of a plant that has ended its operations or the part that is no longer in use shall be cleaned so as not to cause damage. Based on the notification, Tukes revokes the permits granted for its operation. Tukes must also be notified if the operations are discontinued for longer than a year as well as of any changes concerning the operator (business ID, name change).

All production plants that are engaged in large-scale industrial treatment and storage must have a named person in charge (operations supervisor). The operations supervisor ensures that the plant operates according to the regulations and permit conditions concerning dangerous chemicals, and that the plant follows its operating principles and plans. The operations supervisor must complete a competency test organised by Tukes.

Information on all service channels is not available in your chosen language. Change the language of the site to receive information on service channels in other languages.

To whom and on what terms

The operator must demonstrate that the plant meets the general safety requirements of the Safety Act on the Handling of Dangerous Chemicals and Explosives (390/2005), the safety requirements of the decree 856/2012, and that the plant complies with the standards concerning operations.

The operator is obliged to notify Tukes of any extensive changes that affect safety, as well as of any changes concerning the operator. A decision will also be made on the change notification, but its handling process is lighter. A change permit application must be submitted for truly significant changes that resemble the establishment of a new plant.

Tukes performs periodic inspections in plants. Depending on the extent of the activities (three different categories), the inspection interval is 1–5 years.

If a trader is established in another country belonging to the European Economic Area and provides its services temporarily in Finland, the trader must have a Finnish business ID or the trader must be a legal person on whom national legal obligations can be imposed.

The service is provided by

Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes)

Responsible for the service

Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes)
Text edited by: Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes)
Updated: 1/2/2024