How to get an fi-domain name
- Public service
Companies, organisations and private persons can all have fi-domain names registered for them. The actual registration is performed by a registrar. Registrars register fi-domain names for their customers and provide services related to domain names.
Traficom maintains the fi-domain name register. You are able to search for available fi-domain names and registrars through Traficom's search services.
Do the following
To register an fi-domain name, follow the steps below:
- Check whether the domain name is available.
- Make sure that the domain name is not based on a protected name or trademark owned by another party.
- Contact your registrar to have the domain name registered for you.
To whom and on what terms
Before registering a domain name, it is important to check that the domain name is lawful. An fi-domain name may not violate a protected name or a trademark.
Under law, the following names and trademarks are protected:
- names entered into the Finnish Trade Register or Register of Foundations
- names entered into the Finnish Register of Associations
- names entered into the Finnish Trademark Register
- names entered into the European Community Trademark Register
- names of public bodies, unincorporated state enterprises, independent public corporations and public associations
- names of diplomatic missions of foreign states or their bodies
The service is free of charge.