Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Energy Authority

Holding account

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

Holding accounts are used to manage emission allowances and units. Establishments under the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) producing harmful greenhouse gas emissions must return emission allowances from their establishment-specific holding account corresponding to the quantity of their annual emissions. The aim is to monitor greenhouse gas emissions and reduce them cost-effectively.

A holding account is required for establishments in emissions trade that have an emissions permit and for aircraft operators in emissions trade. The holding account is opened in the Union Registry.

Entrepreneurs and aircraft operators must report the actual amounts of emissions for the register annually, which are verified to the register by verifiers. In addition, entrepreneurs and aircraft operators return emission allowances from their accounts annually, corresponding to the amount of verified emissions they had the previous year.

In addition to operators in emissions trade, other organisations and individuals may, under certain restrictions, open new holding accounts in the Union Registry, acquire emission allowances and units, and trade with them.

Do the following

Opening, closing and other applications concerning holding accounts are made in REKA, the electronic register service system.

Alternatively, the application can also be submitted to the Energy Authority using a paper application form.

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Basic information

The service is provided byEnergy Authority
Responsible for the serviceEnergy Authority
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Energy Authority
Updated: 11/3/2021