FLEGT license scheme – import of timber and timber products into the European Union
- Permit or other obligation
- Public service
What is FLEGT, and what is it meant for?
- VPA countries issue FLEGT licences (Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade) to, for example, wooden furniture, flooring, plywood, wood-based pulp and paper. The FLEGT licence guarantees that the timber and timber products are legally produced. Specified products and their harmonized system codes (HS codes) are defined in the country-specific VPA a ...
Do the following
The European Commission has produced an electric system for FLEGT licence processing. The system operates on the “TRACES” platform which requires user registration prior to the first time of use.
Operating instructions for importers/forwarding companies in a nutshell:
- Follow the “FLEGT User Guide” instructions and register as a user. Link to the User Guide in the Commission’s website (https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/cfcas3/tracesnt-webhelp/Content/C_EU%20login/create-a-new-EU-login-account.htm).
2. Pay the licence processing fee in accordance with the instructions (payment instructions).
3. Enter the details of the FLEGT licence in TRACES.
4. Send the original FLEGT licence (Note! The cover page of the licence, “original”), accompanied by a possible attachment for the licence, the contact information form and a payment receipt, to the Finnish Food Authority (contact information form).
Postal Address: Finnish Food Authority/FLEGT licences P.O box 100, FI-00027 FINNISH FOOD AUTHORITY. If you need to use an express, please send to Alvar Aallon katu 5, 60100 Seinäjoki.
5. Complete the customs clearance process. Customs will receive information on the accepted licences directly from the Finnish Food Authority.
- Note! The registering company must have an EORI number. To receive the EORI number, see the Customs’ EORI website (https://tulli.fi/en/e-services/search-and-query-services/eori). After receiving the EORI number, send an e-mail message to confirm the user role at tuovi(at)ruokavirasto.fi. Please note that the sender of the e-mail must be an authorised signatory of the company.
Significant factors in licence processing include the product volume and weight covered by the licence. In particular, if a shipment contains both timber products and other products, the commercial invoice or the packing list should include an itemisation of the product volumes and weights. Mark the volumes and weights accurately.
Please ensure that you submit the licences for processing well in advance of the shipment’s arrival in Finland. The licence must be approved before customs clearance.
For further information on the FLEGT licensing scheme and the EU Timber Regulation, see the FAQs published by the European Commission in cooperation with the EFI at: http://www.euflegt.efi.int/web/flegt-licence/faq
To whom and on what terms
The European Commission has produced an electric system for FLEGT licence processing (FLEGIT). The system operates on the “TRACES” platform which requires user registration prior to the first time of use.