Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Customs

Customs clearance of removal goods

  • Service
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

When moving to Finland from abroad, clear your removal goods through Customs.

The provision of a customs declaration depends on the manner in which the removal goods are imported to Finland. You can find more detailed instructions on the Customs website. If you bring the removal goods with you, you can visit a Customs office upon arrival. Please note that you can clear goods delivered by a transport company in the Customs Clearance Service.

The removal vehicle, too, must be cleared through Customs if you move to Finland from outside the EU customs and fiscal territory or from the EU customs territory but outside its fiscal territory.

You can also authorise, for example, a forwarding agency to do the customs clearance for your removal goods on your behalf. Normally, a person moving to Finland from the EU customs and fiscal territory does not have to submit declarations to Customs.

If you do the customs clearance personally upon arrival, you can find the closest Customs office with customer service from the contact information page on Customs’ website.

Read the instructions and information about import restrictions on Customs’ website before the removal. If you are a student arriving in Finland, please read the instructions for students.

Do the following

In general, removal goods are exempt from customs duty and tax. You can find more detailed instructions on moving to Finland on Customs’ website.

You will need the following documents for the customs clearance of removal goods:

  • form 45e (declaration on the conditions for exemption from customs duties and taxes on goods imported as removal goods)
  • a general list of the removal goods (for example, 20 kg of clothes, one bed, tableware etc.)
  • documents based on which the prerequisites for exemption from customs duty and tax can be verified; a certificate of employment or some other proof of your residence abroad is often sufficient
  • any permits if you have, for example, applied for an advance import licence for removal goods or an import licence for any weapons or other goods that require a permit

If your removal goods include goods subject to the import restrictions or other goods subject to customs duty and tax (e.g. alcohol), you must declare them separately.

In addition, Customs may request you to provide other documents and information.

To whom and on what terms

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Customs
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Customs
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Finnish Customs
Updated: 28/5/2021