Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Immigration Service

Certificate for seasonal work

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

Apply for a certificate for seasonal work if you are a citizen of a visa-free country and going to arrive in Finland for seasonal work for a maximum of 90 days. If you are a citizen of a visa-free country, you are allowed to stay in Finland for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days. You must yourself make sure that you have visa-free days at your disposal for the whole period of validity of your certificate for seasonal work. A certificate for seasonal work does not extend your visa-free stay in Finland.

If you come from a country whose citizens are required to have a visa, you must apply for a visa for seasonal work at a Finnish mission (embassy or consulate). If your seasonal work lasts for more than 90 days, apply for a residence permit for seasonal work. You will find the application on the page Apply for a certificate or residence permit for seasonal work according to the actual length of your employment relationship. If the total length of your seasonal work in Finland exceeds 90 days, do not request a certificate for seasonal work. Instead, apply for a residence permit.

If you are staying in Finland with a residence permit or have a pending application for a residence permit in Finland, you cannot get a certificate for seasonal work. The certificate for seasonal work is meant for you only if you are coming to Finland visa-free to do seasonal work for a maximum of 90 days. If you have been granted a residence permit on the basis of work and you want to continue working in Finland after your residence permit has expired, you must apply for an extended permit.

The certificate for seasonal work is always bound to a certain employer. In other words, you may only work for those employers whose names have been marked on your seasonal work permit. If you want to add a new employer of seasonal workers to your valid certificate for seasonal work, you can apply for the addition of a new employer (

You will receive a decision on your application for seasonal work certificate within 90 days of submitting your correctly filled-in application and all documents required by the Seasonal Workers Act to the Finnish Immigration Service.

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Period of validity

The permit is valid for a fixed time.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Immigration Service
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Immigration Service
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesSwedish, English, Finnish
Text edited by: Finnish Immigration Service
Updated: 2/6/2022