Approval of security stewards
- Permit or other obligation
- Public service
A security steward is a person who carries out security stewarding duties, either in the service of a holder of a security sector business licence or otherwise.
These tasks include upholding order and security as well as prevention of crime and accidents within the duty area. The duty area means the area appointed for the security steward. Security stewards are approved by a police department.
Do the following
You can submit an application through the police e-service. However, the applicant must visit a police department in person if this is necessary for a specific reason. The application can also be made in person at a police station or at a police service point.
The following must be attached to the application:
- report (copy of the certificate) of the satisfactory completion of basic security steward training (a minimum of 40 lessons)
- when applying for a renewal of a security steward licence, a report (copy of the certificate) on the satisfactory completion of a security steward's refresher training course
- report (copy of the certificate) on the satisfactory completion of a security steward's additional use-of-force training course, in accordance with Section 27 of the Private Security Services Act
- photograph of the applicant that meets the requirements of Section 6(5) of the Passport Act
- report (copy of the certificate) on the satisfactory completion of a basic guard training course, if the applicant does not have a valid guard licence and is seeking to work in security stewarding assignments to assist the police or the Finnish Border Guard
- report (copy of the certificate) on the satisfactory completion of instruments of restraint user training (if completed prior to applying for the first approval; otherwise, include a duplicate in the application)
- report (copy of the certificate) on the satisfactory completion of the obedience test of a dog accompanying the security steward during assignments (if completed prior to applying for the first approval; otherwise, include a duplicate in the application)
More information about the approval of security stewards or amendment of license, obtaining a duplicate of a security steward identity card, comparability and recognition of training as well as approval of temporary security stewards can be found on the police website.
To whom and on what terms
A fee is charged for the service.