Applying for an aviation operating licence
- Permit or other obligation
- Public service
An operating licence is required for the carriage of passengers and cargo in commercial air transport. However, you do not need an operating licence for air traffic with a non-power-driven aircraft and/or ultralight power-driven aircraft. You also do not need a licence for local flights. In addition to this, you do not need a licence to market and sell flights that you do not operate yourself.
Do the following
You must submit a completed operating licence application (LU3608) and its appendices to Traficom. If possible, your application will be processed in parallel with the AOC application. Traficom will make the decision on the basis of your application as soon as possible, at the latest three months after receiving all necessary information. Traficom may grant and maintain your permit only if your company meets all the requirements. The decision is public.
Two types of operating licences are issued: A and B. These are subject to different financial requirements.
To whom and on what terms
Traficom grants a licence if
• your company’s principal place of business is in Finland
• your company has a valid AOC issued in Finland
• one or more aircrafts at your company’s disposal are owned or leased by the company without a crew (dry lease)
• your company mainly operates in air traffic as such or in combination with some sort of usage of an aircraft or their repair and maintenance
• the structure of your company does not prevent the implementation of the regulation (in particular regarding transparency and the verification of ownership)
• over 50% of your company’s ownership and control is held by a member state or its citizens
• your company meets all insurance requirements (see Regulation No 785/2004)
• the persons who lead your company’s operations continuously and effectively meet the requirements on good repute (see Chapter 12, Section 2 of the Act on Transport Services, Section 50 of the Aviation Act, and Article 7 of the Air Transport Regulation)
• your company meets all financial requirements.
A fee is charged for the service.