Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Immigration Service

Application for right of permanent residence for British citizens

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

The withdrawal agreement between the UK and the EU came into force on 1 February 2020. This also marked the start of the transition period, which will run until 31 December 2020.

You can apply for a right of permanent residence by virtue of the withdrawal agreement during the application period 1 October 2020 – 30 September 2021 if you have been living in Finland based on the right granted to you by EU citizenship before the expiry of the transition period on 31 December 2020, and you wish to continue living in Finland after the transition period.

You can use this form if you are a British citizen applying for the right of permanent residence by virtue of the withdrawal agreement, either for yourself or for your child, if the child is a British citizen. To qualify, you have resided in Finland legally and continuously for five (5) years, but do not have a certificate of your permanent right of residence as an EU citizen.

To whom and on what terms

A fee is charged for the service.

Period of validity

The permit is valid for a fixed time.

Basic information

The service is provided byFinnish Immigration Service
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Immigration Service
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, English, Swedish
Text edited by: Finnish Immigration Service
Updated: 10/7/2020