Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

Animal Transport Permit

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

If you are involved in the organisation or provision of commercial animal transportation, you need an animal transport permit issued by a Regional State Administrative Agency. The permit covers animal welfare requirements for animal transport.

Transport of animals is considered to be commercial if

  • animals are being transported as part of a business or commercial activity, or
  • the animal transportation is either directly or indirect related to financial gain.

Transport may be classified as commercial even if the economic gain associated with the transport or its purpose is directed to someone other than the carrier, for example the owner of the animals, who themselves do not transport the animals.

Permits are issued for short journeys of up to eight (8) hours, or for longer journeys, where the permit allows journeys of more than eight hours.

In addition to an animal transport permit, you will need the following:

  • Vehicle approval certificates, which are issued for transporting animals for more than 8 hours. You can apply for an approval certificate from the Regional State Administrative Agency when applying for an animal transport permit.
  • Competency certificates for the driver or drivers (horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and poultry animals), or, for other animal species, certificates of participation in transportation training.

If you already have a valid permit and there are substantial changes to the operations (e.g. a change in the means of transport or contact details of the licensee), you must notify the authorising Regional State Administrative Agency within 15 working days of the change.

You do not need an animal transport permit in the following situations:

  • If you transport animals up to a maximum of 65 kilometres from the place of departure to the place of destination, or
  • If you are an animal breeder and transport your animals with your own means of transport for seasonal grazing. Animal transportation for grazing must be due to geographical conditions, such as transporting sheep to pastures on islands for the summer or transporting reindeer between pastures.
  • If you are transporting the animal directly to a veterinarian's office, hospital or clinic, as directed by a veterinarian.

Do the following

  • Learn about animal transport requirements.
  • If necessary, find out if the transportation you are carrying out is classified as commercial on Evira's website or from the Regional State Administrative Agency.
  • Ensure that your transport operations, equipment and personnel comply with the legal requirements.
  • Send a completed animal transport permit application form either by post or by e-mail to the Regional State Administrative Agency that is located in your area of residence. Remember to fill in all the entries on the application and make sure you submit all the attachments. Required attachments include:
  1. If the applicant is a company, association, other organisation or a foundation, a copy of the articles of incorporation, articles of association or the rules of the association or foundation, or an extract of company registration is required.
  2. A description of the drivers, completed as fully as possible (form).
  3. Details of the vehicles used for transport, a separate form for each means of transport completed as fully as possible (forms for transportation for journeys under and over eight (8) hours are available).
  4. If the vehicles you have used for long journeys have already been approved, copies of their approval certificates.
  5. If you are applying for a long-haul permit, a contingency plan for transport emergencies.
  • If the Regional State Administrative Agency requests additional information, prompt delivery without delay will speed up the processing of the application.
  • Wait for the Regional State Administrative Agency to contact you for possible vehicle inspection arrangements. Bring all equipment used in transportation to the inspection. Ensure that all equipment and tools are in working order.
  • Wait for the Regional State Administrative Agency to issue you with an animal transport permit. If the vehicle approval certificates and the personnel competency certificates are also in order you can start transporting the animals.
  • Make sure that you comply with any permit conditions within set time limits or on a continuous basis.

To whom and on what terms

A permit will be issued if:

  • Your vehicle and equipment meet the legal requirements. In addition, vehicles used for long journeys must meet specific requirements, so that they can be issued with a vehicle approval certificate, if they do not already have one.
  • Your ways of operating meet legal requirements.
  • Your personnel hold valid competency certificates (horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and poultry), or certificates of participation in training for other animal species.
  • You or your representatives have not committed any violation of the Animal Welfare Act in the three years preceding the date of application.

A fee is charged for the service.

Fees are determined by the Government’s act on the Regional State Administrative Agency’s fees in 2019 and 2020.


You can start commercially transporting animals only after you have received the animal transport permit.

Processing time

The permits are usually granted within 1 to 6 months.

Period of validity

Five years

Basic information

The service is provided byRegional State Administrative Agency
Responsible for the serviceRegional State Administrative Agency
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 9/9/2020