First page / Services by topic / Migration / Immigration / Immigration matters

Immigration matters

People mainly move to Finland because of their studies, work or family ties. Some people have been forced to leave their home country due to difficult circumstances.

The Ministry of the Interior is responsible for immigration administration and the founding of reception centres. Integration is the responsibility of the Ministry of Employment and the Economy, and practical integration measures are carried out by the Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY) and municipalities.

The Finnish Immigration Service is in charge of steering the practical operations of reception centres, as well as ensuring that victims of human trafficking receive help.

The Finnish Immigration Service makes decisions on granting Finnish nationality and residence permits. In some cases, residence permits can also be issued by the local police.

When someone moves abroad from Finland or moves to the country from abroad, Kela decides whether the migrant is covered under the Finnish social welfare system.

Show content: Most viewed first In alphabetical order

Go to the Public Service Info website.
Go to the's Workspace - information and services for authorities.
Go to the Enterprise Finland website.