Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Regional State Administrative Agency

Vehicle approval certificate for animal transport

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

If you are involved in the organisation or provision of commercial animal transportation and the journeys are more than eight (8) hours, your vehicles and means of animal transport must have the approval from the Regional State Administrative Agency.

Transport of animals is considered to be commercial if

  • animals are being transported as part of a business or commercial activity, or
  • the animal transportation is either directly or indirect related to financial gain.

Transport may be classified as commercial even if the economic gain associated with the transport or its purpose is directed to someone other than the carrier, for example the owner of the animals, who themselves do not transport the animals.

In addition to the animal transport approval certificate you will need the following:

  • Permission from the Regional State Administrative Agency to organise or provide the commercial transportation of animals
  • Competency certificates for the driver or drivers (horses, cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and poultry animals), or, for other animal species, certificates of participation in transportation training.

Do the following

  1. Learn about means of animal transport and transport requirements.
  2. If necessary, find out if the transportation you are carrying out is classified as commercial on Evira's website or from the Regional State Administrative Agency.
  3. Ensure that your transport equipment meets the legal requirements.
  4. Send a completed ‘documentation for the vehicle used for transporting animals for more than 8 hours’ form by post or by e-mail to the Regional State Administrative Agency. Make sure the form is completed as fully as possible. The form is usually sent as an attachment to an application for an animal transport permit. If you already have a valid animal transport permit for which you want to add a new vehicle, please send an application for a change to an animal transport permit to the Regional Administrative Agency.
  5. If the Regional State Administrative Agency requests additional information, prompt delivery without delay will speed up the processing of the application.
  6. Wait for the Regional State Administrative Agency to contact you for vehicle inspection arrangements. Bring all equipment used in transportation to the inspection. Ensure that all equipment and tools are in working order.
  7. Wait for the Regional State Administrative Agency to issue you with a vehicle approval certificate for animal transport. If the animal transport permit and the personnel competency certificates are also in order you can start transporting the animals.

To whom and on what terms

A vehicle approval certificate for animal transport will be issued if the legal requirements are met. Vehicles that are used for long journeys must meet the basic requirements set for all means of animal transport as well as additional requirements.

A fee is charged for the service.

Fees are determined by the Government’s act on the Regional State Administrative Agency’s fees in 2019 and 2020.


Longer journeys of over eight (8) hours can start once the vehicle approval certificate has been received and the other operating permits (animal transport permit and the personnel competency certificates) are in order.

Processing time

The permits are usually granted within 1 to 6 months.

Period of validity

Five years

Basic information

The service is provided byRegional State Administrative Agency
Responsible for the serviceRegional State Administrative Agency
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Regional State Administrative Agency
Updated: 9/9/2020