Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Trading in rest areas and car parks

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

ELY Centre’s approval is required for temporary trading operation and for longer term kiosks and cafes in the roadside rest areas and car parks.

Temporary trading:

The approval can be issued for sites that are appropriate from the point of view of traffic safety.

The trading operation can be based on a trailer, table or similar. The ELY Centre does not organise power supply for traders. If a power supply is needed, the trader has to arrange it. In this case, it is possible to conclude a contract on temporary trading for several years at a time.

The temporary trading activities can be advertised with temporary informative signs (G42) placed in the road area. Before placing the signs, you need a permit from the ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa that is subject to a fee.

Kiosks and cafés:

Traders can operate roadside kiosks and cafés in designated rest areas or car parks. This requires a separate contract with the ELY Centre. The contract entitles the trader to construct a kiosk or cafe building and associated structures and facilities in the designated area. Alternatively, the trader can purchase or rent the building, structures and facilities from the previous trader.

Do the following

Write a free-form application when applying for a temporary trading approval or a roadside kiosk/cafe contract. Include the following information in the application:

  • contact details and business ID of the seller/entrepreneur
  • the municipality in which the resting area is located, name of the area, exact location and road number, map
  • what you are selling
  • for which period of time the approval or agreement is (agreements start on 1 January and end on 31 December)
  • copy or file number of any prior approval or agreement
  • when applying for a temporary approval and there is a kiosk or cafe in the area, the keeper’s written consent for temporary trading is required
  • when applying for a contract and there is an existing building in the area, the applicant should mention whether they will buy or rent the building

The sales period for temporary trading approval is always a calendar year, and the approval can only be applied for one period. The application period is January of each year, and the aim is to process all approvals in February. Applications submitted after January will be processed in the order of arrival.

Send the application to the Pirkanmaa ELY Centre (Registry, P.O. Box 297, 33101 Tampere) or by email to

To whom and on what terms

The product selection must be designed to serve road users.

The service is free of charge.

Temporary trading is not subject to any fees. No rent is charged from kiosk and cafe operators. Maintenance of the site is considered adequate compensation.


The approval for temporary trading or a contract for kiosk and cafe trading on roadside rest areas and car parks must be obtained before trading is started.

Processing time

Temporary trading applications are usually processed within three weeks and kiosk and café contracts in six weeks.

Period of validity

Periods of trading from one day up to six months are considered temporary trading. If the trader requires and obtains a power supply connection for the trading activity, a temporary trading agreement can be made for several years at a time. In kiosks, the first agreement period is usually five years, and ten years in cafes. An additional agreement can be concluded for usually a period of five years.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 17/1/2022