Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service Finnish Food Authority

Start-up support for young farmers

  • Service
  • Nationwide except the Åland Islands
  • Public service

ELY Centres finance a farmer in a change of generation and ownership of a farm with the aid for starting up a farm for a young farmer.

You can apply for a start-up support for young farmers if you start farming for the first time as a farmer with primary responsibility and you are under the age of 41 when you submit your application.

You can start farming either by buying or leasing the farm. In order to receive start-up support, your farm's annual entrepreneurial income must be, on the basis of the business plan, at least EUR 15,000 (reduced support) or EUR 25,000 (higher support) in the third year after the grant has been granted.

The starting time is considered to be the time when you are the main responsible for agriculture and receive a deed of transfer or a written lease agreement for your farm. The holding is considered to have been initiated when the entrepreneur's income is at least EUR 12,000 according to the business plan.

Do the following

Aid can be applied continuously. The applications are decided on by aid periods, which are:

• 1 November – 31 January

• 1 February – 30 April

• 1 May – 31 July

• 1 August – 31 October

1) Before submitting your application, please contact the ELY Centre in your area. The experts at the ELY Centre will advise you on how to submit your application.

2) Check that you have the necessary rights to log in to the Hyrrä service in your organisation's name or that you have given another person sufficient rights to act in your organisation's name in the Hyrrä service.

3) Complete the electronic application and attach the necessary attachments. Business plan must be attached to the application.

4) Sign and submit the application for processing.

Apply for start-up support within 24 months of starting a farm.

To whom and on what terms

Support can be applied for

  • Farmer under 41 years of age who starts holding for the first time
  • A private-law entity that takes up a business in agriculture. The entity must be controlled by one or more natural persons who meet the conditions for granting support.

You must have sufficient competence to receive start-up support. The minimum requirements include:

  • Secondary natural resource sector or other similar education or training; or
  • Three years of experience in agriculture and
  • Training of at least 20 credit units/30 credit points appropriate for the pursuit of entrepreneurial activities. The training must include 10 credit units/15 credit points of financial training. 

Sufficient professional skills must be achieved no later than 36 months after the granting of the aid. 

Attach a business plan to your application to demonstrate that your farm is profitable.

The application must be submitted before you reach the age of 41. Apply for start-up support within 24 months of starting a farm. In the Hyrrä service, you can apply for support, follow your case and browse your application information.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Other responsible organisationsCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Responsible for the serviceFinnish Food Authority
Area Whole Finland (except Åland)
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: Finnish Food Authority
Updated: 1/10/2020