Security officer certification
- Permit or other obligation
- Public service
A security officer carries out security tasks that require certification under a holder of a security sector business licence or a security protection supplier. Such tasks include the planning, installation, repair or alteration of structural protection or electronic surveillance systems, and the planning of other security arrangements. Security services refer to managing security on the basis of client contracts for the purpose of earning income. Police departments grant security officer certifications.
Do the following
You can submit an application through the police e-service. However, the applicant must visit a police department in person when required by a specific reason. You can also apply in person at a police station or at a police service point. The following must be attached to the application:
- report on performing security tasks
- report on whether the applicant works as an employee or as an independent entrepreneur
- report on the applicant’s employer, if the applicant works as an employee
- the employer’s name and business ID
- photograph of the applicant that meets the requirements stipulated in the provisions under section 6, subsection 5 of the Passports Act.
Visit the police website for more information on security officer certification, amending a certification, or how to order a duplicate copy of a security officer licence.
To whom and on what terms
A security officer licence can be granted to a person who is at least 18 years old, honest and reliable, and otherwise suitable for the job, and who is currently performing security assignments. The approval also requires that security assignments are performed with an intent to earn.
A fee is charged for the service.
The fee is based on a decree of the Ministry of the Interior on the payment for police services. The decree is periodically updated.