Go directly to contents.
Responsible for the service ELY Centre

Registration with the aquaculture register

  • Permit or other obligation
  • Nationwide
  • Public service

An aquaculture producer must register with the aquaculture register. The registration obligation applies to all those who keep fish, crustaceans and/or molluscs. The obligation also applies to the keeping of one fish, crayfish or mussel, to spawn hatching and the keeping of mussels for the purpose of water purification.

The registration obligation does not apply to the keeping of crayfish in traps before selling for human consumption. The registration obligation does not apply either to ornamental fish, crustaceans and molluscs if they are kept in an aquarium, aquarium facility, artificial pond or tank from which water is not discharged as such into natural waters.

An aquaculture operator must provide information on its establishment to the ELY Centre. In Åland, the information is submitted to the Provincial Government.

The aquaculture register maintains up-to-date information, for example, on all fish and crayfish establishments, natural feed ponds, spawn hatcheries and angling ponds. Register data are needed for the prevention of fish and crayfish diseases, for research etc. The aquaculture register is owned by the Finnish Food Authority.

Do the following

Send information on yours establishment to the ELY Centre. Complete the printable registration form (Notification to the aquaculture register) and send it as an attachment to the general online form to the Finnish Food Authority. You can also send the form by post. The contact information is available under the application.

To whom and on what terms

The registration obligation, with some exceptions, applies to all those who keep fish, crustaceans and/or molluscs.

The keeper of the register must be notified without delay if the information provided changes or the activities are discontinued.

The service is free of charge.

Basic information

The service is provided byELY Centre for Lapland, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for North Savo
Other responsible organisationsELY Centre for Pirkanmaa, ELY Centre for South Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Southeast Finland, ELY Centre for Satakunta, ELY Centre for Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for Uusimaa, ELY Centre for South Savo, ELY Centre for North Karelia, ELY Centre for Central Finland, ELY Centre for Varsinais-Suomi, ELY Centre for Häme, ELY Centre for Kainuu, ELY Centre for North Ostrobothnia, ELY Centre for North Savo, ELY Centre for Lapland
Responsible for the serviceCentre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment
Area Whole Finland
Available languagesFinnish, Swedish
Text edited by: ELY Centre
Updated: 26/1/2022