Registering the protected occupational title of a disability support worker (trained outside EU/EEA)
- Professional qualification
- Public service
Disability support worker is a protected occupational title in Finland. Professions with protected occupational titles may also be practised by those who possess the required training, experience and professional skills and knowledge. However, they are not entitled to use the protected occupational title. Upon application, Valvira grants the protected occupational title of the profession in question to both those social welfare professionals who obtained their degree in Finland as well as those who obtained it abroad, and registers the granted professional practice rights to the central register for social welfare professionals (Suosikki).
Do the following
Fill in and submit the form by post and attach the following documents:
- If you have not taken your vocational training or general education in Finnish or Swedish, a copy of the Finnish National Certificate of Language Proficiency or the State Administration Language Examination. The copy is required if you are applying to be registered in the central register of healthcare professionals. If you are unable to attach a certificate of the required language skills to your application for a right to practise a profession, Valvira may only recognise the professional qualification.
- A copy of a valid passport or another document issued by an authority that verifies your citizenship*.
- If your current name is different than the one on any of the attachments, a copy of a document that verifies the change of name*.
- A copy of the original degree certificate*.
- A copy of the diploma supplement or transcript of records*.
- A certificate issued by the competent foreign authority that indicates the right to practise the profession in the country in question. The certificate must indicate that the right to practise the profession has not been limited or removed. The certificate must not be older than three months. If the right to practise the profession has been granted in several countries, a certificate from each country is required. You may submit either the original certificate or a copy. OR if you have practised the profession in a country where practitioners of the profession are not registered, a certificate issued by the competent authority of the said country, which verifies that the country does not register the practitioners of this profession, or another reliable account of it. You may submit either the original certificate or a copy.
- Certificates of professional experience*.
- Translations of the above documents made by a translator authorised in Finland or another EU/EEA state. The translations must be either in Finnish, Swedish or English. You may submit either the original translations or copies of them.
When necessary, Valvira may ask you to provide further clarification and they may verify the authenticity of the qualification. You can find more information about how qualifications are verified by visiting Valvira’s website.
- the copy must be a certified copy that is officially recognised in Finland or another EU/EEA state.
Further information: email@example.com
To whom and on what terms
In order to be granted the right, you must have a degree leading to the profession of a disability support worker.
If you do not have a Finnish personal identity code at the time of applying, you must notify Valvira as soon as you receive it.
A fee is charged for the service.
Apply for the protected occupational title well in advance before starting to practise the profession in Finland.
The average processing time of applications by persons trained outside the EU is over 4 months. If Valvira receives all the application documents in full, the processing time is 4 months. For applicants trained outside the EU whose qualification has been verified by another EU/EEA state and who have enough work experience to fulfil the requirements set in the Professional Qualifications Directive, the average application time is 4 months.
Period of validity
The protected occupational title is valid for an indefinite term.
Laki sosiaalihuollon ammattihenkilöistä
Asetus sosiaalihuollon ammattihenkilöistä
Asetus Sosiaali- ja terveysalan lupa- ja valvontaviraston maksullisista suoritteista
Asetus Sosiaali- ja terveysalan lupa- ja valvontaviraston maksullisten suoritteiden muuttamisesta