Regional transport subsidy
- Nationwide except the Åland Islands
- Public service
A subsidy to reduce the transport costs of small and medium-sized enterprises in sparsely populated areas.
The transport subsidy promotes the operation of small and medium-sized enterprises in sparsely populated areas by reducing the additional expenses caused by long transport distances. Subsidy may be granted for the domestic transport charges for the products manufactured by the company. Subsidy may also be granted for port operations related to the shipment of the products under the terms laid down by the Decree. Transport subsidies are regulated by the Government Decree regarding regional transport subsidies for 2018 and 2019 (1248/2014). The provisions laid down in the Act on Discretionary Goverment Transfers (688/2001) also apply.
Do the following
You can apply for transport subsidy in the business subsidy service provided by the ELY Centres All applications for transport subsidies are processed in the ELY Centre of Northern Ostrobothnia.
Subsidies must be applied for within three months of the end of the application period (calendar year).
We recommend contacting an expert of the ELY Centre before submitting the application, especially if this is the first time you apply for a transport subsidy.
To whom and on what terms
Transport subsidy can be paid for transport of products which have been processed by small and medium-sized enterprises that have paid the freight in the capacity of a consignor
- Subsidy can also be paid for domestic transport charges of products manufactured by small and medium-sized enterprises and for port operations connected to the shipment of the products (subsidy for port operations).
- Subsidy may be granted when the product has been manufactured in the following areas: the counties of Lapland, Northern Ostrobothnia, Central Ostrobothnia, Kainuu, North Karelia, North Savo and South Savo, and the municipalities of Kannonkoski, Karstula, Kinnula, Kivijärvi, Kyyjärvi, Pihtipudas, Saarijärvi and Viitasaari.
- Transport eligible for the subsidy must originate from the place of production of the products.
- Subsidy is not granted for the transport of used goods, raw materials or similar products or when the processing level of the products is low.
- It is also not granted for transports made with the company's own transport equipment.
The amount of transport subsidy:
- The regional transport subsidy is EUR 9–20 % of the product's transport fee.
- The percentage rate increases as the transport distance increases. The minimum transport distance in Finland is 266 kilometres. If the transport destination is a port eligible for subsidised port operations, the minimum transport distance is 101 kilometres. The transport distance is calculated based on the shortest possible route.
The amount of the subsidy for port operations:
- Subsidies for port operations are based on the weight of the goods to be shipped. Subsidies for port operations cover ports situated on the Gulf of Bothnia in the municipality of Merikarvia or to the north of it and on the Saimaa waterway.
- The subsidy for port operations is EUR 1 or EUR 2 per tonne, depending on the location of the port.
Transport subsidy is applied for based on actual and paid transports
- in calendar year periods (1 January to 31 December) (application period), retrospectively
- within three months of the end of the application period.
The transport starting date determines, which application period the transport belongs in.