Preparatory training for general upper secondary education (LUVA)
- Public service
You can apply for preparatory training for general upper secondary education (lukioon valmistava koulutus, LUVA), if your language skills are not yet sufficient to study at general upper secondary school. The training takes one school year. It will strengthen your skills in Finnish and prepare you for upper secondary school studies. After the preparatory training, you will apply for the actual general upper secondary education.
To whom and on what terms
You can apply for this education if:
• you have completed your basic education or a corresponding syllabus in Finland or abroad
• you are an immigrant or your native language is other than Finnish, Swedish or Sami
• you are not proficient enough in Finnish or Swedish to complete a general upper secondary education in Finnish or Swedish
• your goal is to complete a general upper secondary education syllabus after preparatory training
• you have not attained a higher education degree.
You can apply for preparatory training for general upper secondary education, if
- you have completed comprehensive school (peruskoulu) or a similar syllabus in Finland or abroad or have an equal amount of knowledge and skills
- your language skills are not yet sufficient to study in Finnish or Swedish at general upper secondary school
- your have general upper secondary school as your primary educational goal
- you have not received an upper secondary school qualification (toisen asteen tutkinto) or taken the Matriculation Examination (ylioppilastutkinto) in Finland and do not have a similar qualification from another country.
The service is free of charge.
Tuition is free.
The purpose of the preparatory training for general upper secondary education provided for immigrants and foreign-language speakers is to help students gain the linguistic and other capabilities that they need in general upper secondary education. The training can be provided for both young people and adults. Preparatory training for general upper secondary education helps the participants to improve their language proficiency and gain the study skills needed in general upper secondary education.
The preparatory training for general upper secondary education consists of 50 credits. During the training, students can also study subjects normally studied at general upper secondary level.
The training is organised by municipalities, joint municipal authorities and other educational providers that have been granted authorisation to provide general upper secondary education by the Ministry of Education and Culture.